Monday, October 29, 2012

A Veteran's Funeral

Two weeks ago we had the service for my father at Arlington National Cemetery. 

It was a crazy time. Sunday morning I flew from Chicago to San Francisco, where I gave a speech Monday morning. Then Monday night I got on the redeye to DC for the Tuesday morning service. No sleep 'til that night, then a flight back to Chicago Wednesday morning.

So I was a bit groggy, but it was still a very moving ceremony. An honor guard served as pall bearers.





He got a 21-gun salute.


A lone bugler played Taps in the distance.


Lots of family and friends on hand for the service.




I'm not really a big gung-ho military patriot type person, but it was really a very nice honor. Even after all these years, with all this time to prepare, it was tough.

Deb has a lifetime entrance pass to drive up to his gravesite anytime we want to visit. The headstone should be up in a month or two, and I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Also looking forward to not traveling for a month or so. Time to take care of things close to home.

No comments: