Thursday, May 17, 2012

From the Archives

The College Years

It's been painstaking and difficult, but I'm just about finished with my digital conversion project.

I got the 1400 photos back on a disc -- but, of course, some of the albums were out of order, so I had to re-order them in iPhoto. And before I could really rest I had to caption them all, using the notes scrawled on the backs of the photos. And while I was at it, why not geotag them?

I'm very bad at doing tasks like this in pieces. Common sense would tell you to spend an hour here, an hour there, maybe do one album at a time. But I can't do that. So I spent about 12 or 15 hours over a weekend getting them all done.

I wonder about those people who do it the other way. Doing things bit by bit and taking leisurely breaks to "stretch their legs" or "eat a meal" or "sleep."

Then I scanned a small stack of miscellaneous stuff on my own. Like one of my first paychecks from high school, a ticket to the World Trade Center observation deck, my college acceptance letters and other things.

Here are three favorites. A Bulls playoff ticket:


 The first (and last) time I went to see Bruce Springsteen:



$11! Though I'm guessing the ticketmaster service charge was still $7.50.

And here's an old golf scorecard from a round I played with my Dad during high school:


Pretty sure I had several dozen mulligans.

Final final final thing: going through digital copies of old videos -- like a couple of my sketch shows -- and cutting them down to size. And by that I mean cutting out the scenes that don't feature me ...

1 comment:

Petter Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.