Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sorry you asked?

People and their ideas.

They want to be helpful, I'm sure, but it's a little aggravating.

"You should get on radio in other markets." "You should travel around to the cities within driving distance to do TV." "You should approach all the local chambers for speaking opportunities." "You should market to university alumni associations." "You should approach bookstores to do readings." "And libraries, too." Etc.

All of these ideas are wonderful. If I had three of me, working full time (and by that I mean 24 hours a day, seven days a week with no sleeping or eating) devoted solely to marketing and doing nothing else for six straight months then I will have accomplished possibly one-tenth of all that could and needs to be done in marketing the book.

Yup, it's that simple.

This is what I think about constantly. It's what I do when I'm not doing anything else, and much of the time that I am doing something else. Not 3 minutes of my day goes by where I'm not crafting a new talking point in my head, or practicing a part of a presentation, or reading an article or website with a mind to how I would pitch my story, or thinking about a group I could approach about speaking, or dreaming up some new marketing tactic, or drafting an article in my head.

Literally. I think about in the shower, I think about it on the bus, I think about it when I'm walking around town, I think about it when I get up and before I go to bed and every moment in between. I'm thinking about it at dinner, I'm thinking about it while I'm watching your show and when I'm at the movies and when we're having a conversation about something else. I'm thinking about it at many points when my focus should clearly be on what I'm doing.

But that's it. I'm doing absolutely everything I can. I'm not sure how to do any more -- I punish myself enough already for not sitting down and grinding out letters and proposals and pitches every single spare minute of every evening and weekend hour. So you're right, I could be doing more. I could always be doing more.

Thanks!

No comments: