Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Resolutions are for dummies

I don't make resolutions.

If there's something I want to change I change it when it needs changing, irrespective of the calendar. For a lot of people, New Year's resolutions are less a chance for a fresh start than an excuse to put off self improvement. Feeling overweight in October? Might as well wait for January to start doing something about it.

And most resolutions are proscriptive. Stop overeating, stop nail biting, stop watching so much TV, stop skipping the gym.

I usual set goals, but they're positive and usually business-related. Book a national commercial, find a new agent, get three new clients, etc.

Most of my goals this year are book-related. I want to book more speeches (just scheduled my fourth for the new year) and more media. I want the opportunities to get bigger and bigger (from local to national) and I want them to add significantly to my income stream.

I've had pretty good luck so far doing this mostly on my own but I think I'm going to need help to take it to the next level. I'd like to get representation with a respectable speaker's bureau. I've had conversations with one that sought me out, but nothing has really come of it and so it's time for me to get strategic about it.

The ideal would be traveling around giving a half-dozen or so speeches/workshops a month, and booking local TV and radio wherever I go.

That's where I'd like to be by year's end -- either there or within striking distance of it.

I think this is going to be a pretty big year ... for a lot of things.

No comments: