Monday, December 19, 2011

On the radio


This weekend I did a radio appearance on WGN in Chicago. It's a short, 10-minute segment, which can be listened to here.

It's interesting that I thought actually being in the studio with the host, as opposed to calling in, would be an easier, more engaging experience. Better chemistry and being able to make eye contact and such.

But it wasn't quite like that. First off, we're in this windowed studio facing Michigan Avenue and people are pressing their noses up against the glass and the host somehow manages, without missing a beat, to enthusiastically wave to everyone who passes -- when I'm talking, even when he's talking.

Plus, radio hosts are monitoring a hundred different things. They've got producers talking in their ear and they're watching the clock and they're looking up stuff online and have messages coming over their computer screen and a bunch of other stuff. So he asks me a question then is immediately immersed in all these other things.

He still manages somehow to listen, which is something I could never possibly do -- achieving that kind of focus in the midst of all those distractions -- but it's a little disconcerting to have your "audience" kind of all over the place like that.

Still, it turned out well enough. He picked my segment among the four hours of material he got that morning for the site's webcast. So that says something. I still feel a lot of pressure in these short interview situations (like the two-minute TV appearance) to get everything in and be succinct.

I don't know how much time I'll get on Martha's network, but I hope it's a good 20 or 30 minutes.

No comments: