Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Patience

Opportunities are now kind of pouring down like a waterfall. In the past week, here's what's happened:
  • My article in PR Daily, 6 Lame Excuses for Not Communicating, has been shared on social media almost 250 times and has been viewed more than 12,000 times. (Only a thousand of those hits probably came from me.)
  • Somebody at a communications firm in Poland wants to translate the article and run it on their website.
  • I've booked my first two speaking gigs. The first with the aforementioned acting group and the second is a webinar for my college's alumni association, which includes many tens of thousands of people.
  • My publisher got an inquiry from a speakers bureau in DC that may be interested in taking me on. They seem to have a large number of very famous people on their roster. We will see about that.
Someone I talked to about speaking a couple of years ago said, "You make your own luck." It's true. All of this came as a result of a lot of hard work and persistence. Two months of harassing that editor. I submitted my application for the alumni program a couple of months ago and had given up on hearing back from them. Turns out I'll be the guinea pig inaugural presenter.

And, of course, a book that was 16 months in the making (which is not long at all, actually).

It's amazing that just a few weeks ago I was somewhat despairing over my fate when results weren't coming as quickly as I would have liked. It truly is about putting your head down and taking care of all the little things, one-by-one, that will get you to your goal. Just keep doing them, keep trying everything.

And it never stops. I had a great meeting yesterday with someone who really loves the book. He's given me almost two-dozen leads to follow up on. And I've got pitches out for other speeches, other articles, other opportunities.

It's a lot like auditioning. You can't sit around worrying about booking a job, you just have to go to lots of auditions, forget about them instantly, then move on to the next one. Eventually, something will net out from your efforts.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog