Wednesday, September 28, 2011

On the radio

That went really, really well. I enjoyed the hell out of it and it was a fun, upbeat, high-energy, informative hour of radio. Seriously.

It helped that I knew the host. She covered the statehouse as a print reporter back when I was press secretary for the AG. Glad we kept in touch.

What also helped is that they had the brilliant idea of using clips from TV and the movies. In fact, they had the idea yesterday afternoon, and I spent an hour or so tracking down youtube clips from Star Trek and Mad Men and the Fugitive and other places.

I'd love to be able to use those in my own presentations, but that wouldn't fall under fair use, unfortunately. They're the media and I'm a guy selling a book (and ultimately selling speeches and workshops). So I've got to be a little more imaginative about how I bring these scenes to life, like with role-playing and such.

Anyway, it's great to be done. I was on a super-high for hours afterwards. It was like a performance -- if I read my own book it was a performance. And though I prepared really hard, gathering all my info and materials at my fingertips and even compiling two pages of soundbites, I found I only needed it once, to look up a quote I used in the book. I'm amazed at how much of the material I've managed to internalize and am able to call up in my mental rolodex -- anecdotes, lessons, tips. It's all up here *points to head*.

And it's great to have the record of it, which I hope to use to lure other radio stations and even TV to bring me on their programs.

Ahhhh ... good to have a good day.

No comments: