Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Reality Check

Over the past few months, and twice in the past weekend, I've run into people who have asked, "How's the book selling?" Which tells me two things, both of which I kinda knew, but it's good to have it vividly presented right in your face:
  1. People just aren't into your stuff and your life the way you are. There's just no getting around that. Again, I knew this, but it's useful to be reminded.
  2. A lot of people who are perfectly enthusiastic about the book are not going to buy it. They just aren't. It makes sense. For some of them, the content just isn't relevant. They're not in business. And even for those who are? Well, I rarely buy business books. Now some friends may buy the book as a favor, but most won't. I probably would not. Just like sometimes I go to friends' shows, but quite frequently I do not.
Now on the other hand? I went to a gathering and a couple of people who I thought had no interest whatsoever in the book -- mainly based on a lack of feedback online -- actually showed a lot of genuine excitement. Which felt really, really good.

But again, realistically, it's quite probable that even that enthusiasm won't translate into sales.

And that's the truth.

No comments: