Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Book 2.0

I feel like I'm writing a whole other book.

I'm working on writing articles based on the book's content and getting them "placed" in various publications. I have a list of 20 possible topics and I've completed three. I'm shooting to get 10 done in the next month.

As for where they'll appear, I'm starting easy, with PR/communications industry publications. I've got one of the three successfully placed and another under consideration. From there I'll expand the universe to general business publications.

It's a lot of work. I had visions of mainly lifting copy directly from the book (which I would note with any editors I pitch), but that's not quite how it's worked out. They need context and they need to be targeted to each publication's readership. One article was pulled from three different chapters, and included a lot of revised and even new copy.

That's right, I'm still finding ways to improve the writing, which tells me a couple of things. It's good to have the book done and in the can, because I could continue to edit forever. And, I won't have any trouble in the months and maybe years ahead finding new things to say about the same basic lessons.

It's a lot of work. And it's not the kind of work anyone's standing over me making me do, so all the motivation has to come from within.

No comments: