Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Making it up

I've been made up a hundred times or more for commercial projects. Now I'm learning to do it myself.

Easy? I don't know. I've had lots of haircuts but I wouldn't trust myself to do my own.

But that's the way it is. This Saturday we're filming some promotional videos for the book, and hiring a regular makeup artist would pretty much double what we're paying for the videographer and the space.

Luckily I had a very nice makeup lady at my last shoot who gave me some tips and even wrote down the foundation and powder I should buy. Sixty-seven dollars later and I'm ready to go. So I'm practicing. I made myself up twice today and am going to try a few more times before Saturday to get it right.

So far I've learned that less seems to be more. Which is tough. Subtlety and minimalism have never been my forte. And I have greater respect for makeup people -- they're paid pretty well. Probably worth the expense. That remains to be seen ...

No comments: