Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cleaning house

As I look ahead to marketing the book, I'm trying to get my contact lists in order.

I haven't formally added a new contact to my email in years. I just rely on it to automatically add anyone I'm in contact with. So as a result I had hundreds of emails with no name attached, not to mention duplicates, multiple addresses for the same person, etc.

So for the past few days I've been going through it all, contact by contact, one at a time, getting it all organized. I got 800+ emails down to a little over 400. Next up I'd like to get all my Facebook friends into email who aren't already there, then the same with my LinkedIn contacts. Not to mention getting many of my email contacts into LinkedIn.

Bleh.

Anyway, one thing I learned in this exercise is that it's really important for people to get over their 1997-style "cute" email names. A lot of contacts I deleted because I had no idea who they are. DryFlyGuy, princess12, weirdoactor, unnamedshrew, fireyellow. Seriously, people.

Of course, I'm one to talk with my old AOL account, which I've held onto and mostly only use for personal email now. It's really embarrassing when a client reaches me there.

So, so much to do. I could literally work 12-15 hours a day for 10 weeks and not run out of stuff to do to market the book. Writing articles and speeches, reaching out to people individually, networking online with LinkedIn and blogs, approaching editors, blogging, Facebooking, tweeting.

Gah!

No comments: