Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Back to it

California was awesome as expected, but I haven't had much time to dwell. After a delayed redeye and 4 or 5 hours of sleep I went straight into a SAG audition, then catching up on some work stuff then yesterday an industrial booking (playing "Ralph" went off without a hitch), then work today and deciding on whether to audition for a play.

That last one's the toughest. I haven't done a play for a long time -- a couple of years. I'd like to get back on stage sometime, but it's a tough call. I stopped specifically so I could focus more attention on marketing the business and doing paid, on-camera work. That turned out to be a good decision, as both improved markedly as a result.

Now I feel like maybe I should jump back in. I've been invited to audition by a company I know and like. But if I get it, it would be lot of work. About 40 hours of rehearsal, plus probably two or three times that amount of time practicing the lines on my own. With the book coming out, can I justify that?

I should be devoting that time to writing speeches and articles and pitching them and marketing myself. Not to mention working with the publishers on finalizing the content, approving the galleys and, of course, doing my regular work, which is still what pays most of the bills.

On the other hand, maybe it's good to be over-scheduled. Sometimes if you have too much time on your hands you don't use it productively or efficiently. Like when your back is to the wall you can do in an hour or two what might otherwise take you a half-day or full day when you have the time to fill.

Priorities. My number one priority has to be the book, then work, and any choice I make in the next few months must serve those priorities. How much will doing a show now improve the book's content or sell more books or expand my network? Probably only tangentially. But would it provide some kind of intangible X factor? Motivation, energy, inspiration?

Here's the thing: if I choose not to do it, I had damned well better kick some serious ass productivity-wise over the next couple of months.

No comments: