Monday, March 21, 2011

Turning a page

This evening, after wrapping up my work, I headed over to Argo for an hour to just read. I left my computer behind because for the first time since May 1, 2010, I have nothing left of the book to write. Other than some proofing of galleys to come, it is finished.

What an odd feeling. Bittersweet. Liberating, yet a little sad.

Just for fun I went back in to look at some of the earliest chapter drafts from last summer and I was surprised to find that they're actually pretty good. I think four months after I started I probably had it about 70% nailed.

I since added a lot of stuff, and scrambled and shuffled a bunch of things around, but a lot of that original content was actually pretty good and made it through nine drafts relatively intact.

New information that could be added continues to come up every week, but I'm going to resist doing that. I've done lots of revising, but I definitely know when to stop. And I see the potential additional material as a positive thing. It tells me my content is relevant and it promises to deliver lots of new examples and insights that I can use to keep the material fresh as I merchandise it.

And that's why I'm not truly done. Still plenty of things on the agenda. Marketing materials, videos, speeches, articles, etc. But I'm not going to think about that for a few days. This week we'll send the book to layout and finally settle on a title and cover design.

Then I'll get back into it.

No comments: