Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On the technology front


My latest trip to the Apple store today was reminiscent of the scene in Casablanca where Captain Renault says he's shocked -- shocked -- to discover there's gambling going on at Rick's.

I was similarly aghast to hear that all the moisture indicators in my iPhone were glaring bright red. Why, whatever could have caused that? It would have been great if, when the genius guy cracked it open, a bunch of river water and salmon eggs came pouring out.

The phone seems to be on its last legs, which may or may not have something to do with its baptism in the Kenai River last summer. Ideally, it's just the battery. I found a good place that believes that's the issue and can do a cheap out-of- warranty battery swap (with a money-back guarantee if it's not).

But just for giggles I had the apple guys give it a quick diagnosis today and that's when all the little red sirens went off. They basically said no amount of battery freshening is going to fix this mess. But that's their MO -- they are very strict about water damage. The indie pirate tech guy suggests otherwise.

If worse comes to worse, I can get it replaced without committing to a two-year contract, so I can still get the new version that comes out this summer, which is what I've been holding out for all this time. Of course, I'd rather just pay 50 bucks for a new battery for a phone that I'm only going to use for 3-4 more months.

One thing I do know is the status quo won't do. A mobile phone really should be, um, mobile, and not tethered to a power cord and electrical outlet.

When I get this taken care of I should be well set in the technology department, as my laptop seems fixed and not crashing on a daily basis. Hopefully I can keep it that way until the next-gen MacBooks come out in 11 or so months and counting.

I think I'm really hard on my gadgets. I've got to swaddle that iPad ...

No comments: