Friday, March 11, 2011

Nerts

Granted, there are worse things that can happen to a person than having to wait a while for an iPad. Like tsunamis or having your right to collectively bargain taken away.

But I was really, really looking forward to getting my hands on it today. I wasn't willing to wait outside 8 hours, though, so I got to the Apple store at 4 pm, an hour before the release, and there were only a couple hundred people ahead of me. This won't be so bad, I thought -- 2-3 hours top.

By 5:10, they said all the AT&T models were gone. And elsewhere around town, at Best Buy, AT&T, Walmart and Target, they were either running out and swamped or they hadn't even gotten any shipped to them yet.

I don't claim to know more about marketing than Steve Jobs, but I would think you'd want to have enough models on hand to sell to all the people who want them. Even online they were running out. If I had gotten up at the 3 am order time, my wait would be 2-3 days. By dawn the wait was 2-3 weeks.

WTFF?

Oh, well. I will continue to hunt and forage for a few days and then, if necessary, give up and order online.

Back to the dark ages ...

No comments: