Wednesday, March 02, 2011

It's not me

And it's not you, either.

A member of this acting network I belong to sent an email today saying she received a message from her agent essentially saying, "Don't worry, your career isn't over just because you haven't auditioned this year. Barely anyone has auditioned this year. It is more than officially slow at the Chicago casting houses."

That is good to know. I haven't not auditioned this year, but I've had far fewer than usual. And many of the ones I have been getting have been random things -- open calls, small studios, low paying jobs. Not much at the big three casting agencies.

Of course, the fact that few people are getting work is no cause for celebration, but at least I know it's not personal.

What's weird is that 2008, at the height of the economic meltdown, was a pretty good year for me. And 2009, still an awful year for the economy, was my best year ever. Then last year, as the economy was supposedly recovering, things tailed off considerably. And now this year is starting even worse.

Is there some kind of weird latent effect on advertising? I don't think so. It's one of the first things cut in bad times and one of the last to come back, so it's hard to account for my two good years there.

I suppose what it comes down to is the not-very-helpful or repeatable lesson that every actor is different and you just never know when either the luck of the game goes your way or it just happens there's a need for your type.

Not that I've had much time to obsess over it with all the work-work going on ...

No comments: