Thursday, October 21, 2010

See this film


In June I shot a small scene for a small film and tonight I got to actually see it, not five months later. And on an actual movie screen.

This is amazing on so many levels. First off, it was feature length. I've done 8-minute student films that took them TWO YEARS to finish. Second, even when they're finished it usually takes another year just to get a copy of the damned thing. Third, nothing ever happens with them. They don't really have those viewings or festival entries that get talked about.

The even more amazing thing? This was a film I REALLY enjoyed. I mean, it was really freakin' funny. It's the funniest thing I've been in, certainly, but it may be among the funniest things I've seen in the past several years. I laughed as much as I did at Hangover and Superbad.

None of this is an accident. When I first got called to audition for it, I was wary, as I am with any project like this. Film is tough. There are so many filmmakers in town and, unlike theater, where you know most of them and their reputation, these can be a total crapshoot.

But I got some really good advice on some questions to ask the director at the audition -- technical stuff, and about his plans and his crew. He answered all my questions, and most of the technical stuff I didn't really understand. But the important thing was, he seemed to really know what he was talking about. AND he had no chip on his shoulder about answering my questions -- he was completely open about it.

I also read the whole script, which I thought was pretty funny, but there are tons of ways to screw up a funny script. But I had a good feeling about the guy. He really seemed to have his shit together. And tonight it showed. He pulled it off. I think this kid's going places.

My scene was fun, too. And it was the very first scene in the movie. In fact, my face was the very first thing in the movie. Crazy. So even though I seem to have aged a decade in the past three years, I am very proud to be part of this project. "Get a Job." Catch it if you get a chance.


Get A Job Website Trailer from James Reed on Vimeo.

No comments: