Monday, August 30, 2010

Working Boy 2


So this corporate project I'm working on involves these guys.

I've loved airplanes since I was a kid, and airlines are ridiculously interesting from a management and even general business standpoint. So many aspects to them -- labor issues, unions, widely dispersed employee population, government regulation, crises aplenty. Good times.

So the merger is a years-long process, with many milestones, from U.S. and foreign government approval to board votes to a vast array of operational issues that have to be worked out any time you make two companies into one -- technology, policies, equipment, branding, etc., etc., etc. Thus a big need for communicators.

Right now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern, as it were. I'd been prepared for it to become all-consuming last week. Well, half-consuming, since 15-20 hours is about all I can spare with other responsibilities. But that's plenty busy enough when you add in the other stuff.

In an effort to clear the decks last week I worked all day Sunday on the book, then every night, Monday through Friday, on this other client's stuff. Plus all the days.

As it turns out, I only spent about 8 hours at the airline. We're still at the scoping out and ramping up stage. But I'm really glad I got all that other stuff done. At least this wave of it -- there will be more.

And it's a good thing, too, because this weekend I received the first 95 pages of the latest version of this book I'm editing. If the airline holds off a few more days I can make some headway on that. (Not to mention finish the latest draft of my own book.) That'll be this week's obsession.

This weekend I actually got to relax a bit, catch up, clean house, and even did a little shopping for some better business casual wear, partly pictured above. (Waist down. The shirt's several years old and, in my mind, might as well be pleated pants or a shoulder-padded jacket for how out-of-style it feels.)

Secret: in spite of the craziness last week, I really, really like hard work. It feels great. Feeling vital.

No comments: