Thursday, August 19, 2010

Opportunity Knocking

I'm not so good with surprises and new ideas.

I like my ideas just fine, because I stew on them for a while, so by the time I decide I'm pretty much on board. But when somebody else suggests something, it takes me a period of adjustment to warm up to the idea.

A new business project came in -- an opportunity for 15-20 hours a week of work through September. That itself was an adjustment, figuring out how to do that work plus my existing client stuff, plus the book, plus all that general life-stuff.

But then when I learned I'm going to need to be on-site for much of it ... well, that threw me for a loop. That's a whole other animal, figuring out how to fit it all in. (I think probably 7-day-a-week workouts will be the first thing to go.)

On the other hand, it's downtown, it's a fairly defined timeline, it's a good, reliable income stream, and it'll probably be a good experience and opportunity.

Yeah, opportunity. I really need to make sure I do that more often. I'm excellent at filtering things -- analyzing, weighing, and identifying potential obstacles. That's a valuable perspective, because a lot of people don't have that skill. But I need to not go overboard.

My grandfather once told me (and I may be repeating this story), "Never turn down an opportunity." Of course, he also told me, "Always be the first one in and the last one out of the office," so wisdom from a couple of generations ago isn't always reliable.

No comments: