Saturday, June 26, 2010

Uncle!

I tried writing a couple of different chapters today. Got a third-to-halfway through each and kinda gave up. It's hot.

Writing outside in this heat/humidity may not be the most productive approach -- though most of the chapters have been written outside, usually in the evenings, at my local Argo.

Hell, 20's a good a number for now. I wanted to push on until the holiday, and maybe I'll squeeze another chapter or two out yet, but the fact that these few last chapters have been staring at me unwritten for almost this whole time tells me something. Either I don't really believe they have potential or I just haven't figured them out.

Or maybe I just have heatstroke.

Next week the competitive research begins. And if I also bang out a couple of chapters, great. If not, that's fine, too. Twenty chapters and 15,000 words in two months is good enough. Especially since most of those chapters are probably 90-95% final and won't require much editing, let alone re-writing.

By the end of July I'll have researched other books that are similar, maybe picked up a few new chapter ideas, maybe cut a few existing ones, finished up the stragglers, and put it all in some sort of order. And possibly also researched publishing options some more.

That's the plan, Stan.

No comments: