Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Salt


I am reading a 400-plus page book on salt. That's right. Salt.

I've been reading it for quite some time. I've been reading it as I was reading multiple other books, including Ian McEwan's Solar and a couple of other non-fiction works.

Part of the problem is I got it pre-Kindle. (Yup, I've been trying to read this book for six months.) The other problem is ... it's about SALT!

Yes, I should have known that, given the title of the book. It's called "Salt." I can't say I was deceived.

Of course, it's about a little more than salt. It's about history, and civilization and commerce and geology and biology and chemistry ... and cooking. It's got recipes for salted cod from Plato's time, the earliest known recipe for catsup and cole slaw and ... much, much ... else.

Okay, I'm glad I picked this book up. I have actually learned some fascinating things. I really had no idea how critical salt has been to the development of civilization. That it's been used as money, that it was a major issue in the Revolution and the Civil War and ... that there are so many, many ways of making salt.

So I'm glad I started reading it. I only wish it was a couple hundred pages shorter. Because then I'd be done with it. I think I've got the point.

I've only stopped reading one or two books in my life (hello, Corelli's Mandolin), but I am determined to get through this one. Just in case there's some blockbuster revelation awaiting me in its final pages.

I'm giving myself 'til the end of the month.

No comments: