And they called Monday to put me on "right of first refusal," which is ... well, who knows? There are so many designations -- "check avail," "hold," "first refusal." It's never exactly clear where they rank relative to each other or if even they are indeed different things.
But it seemed pretty big. And I could really, really use a big, sweet, high-paying job like that. It would also help toward qualifying me for SAG healthcare next year. So I shut up about it and tried not to think about it. (Like I resisted mentally buying an iPad, the iPhone 4, and various other goodies.)
Unfortunately, none of that worked, as the wardrobe fitting date passed on Wednesday without word. I wonder how many people they had on hold? They called back about 10 of us from the original, I don't know, 15? I think "first refusal" or "on hold" sometimes just means you're one of five or six.
Then this afternoon I get a call from an intern at the agency asking if I was available this weekend for a shoot with this client. Um ... you mean as an extra or for the principal role I auditioned for? She didn't know and had to check (interns -- urgh!) and that's when my agent got on the line and told me, yes, I'd been released, but now they're seeing if I want to do extra work.
I said no. I actually had a trip out of town booked this weekend, during the originally proposed shoot dates, to go back to DC and see my Dad for Father's Day and his birthday. I didn't put that down as a conflict and I myself was sort of conflicted all week. I'd feel terrible canceling the trip if I got the job, but I don't think I'd have any choice. You can't dismiss an opportunity like this. (You can dismiss it for extra work, but not principal scale.)
In fact, I figured the fact that getting the job would cause a good deal of mental distress and guilt meant for sure I would get it. No such luck.
So at least I can still do my duty to family, and save myself the guilt of being derelict in that duty. Yay, me.