Monday, June 28, 2010

Not so fast

It's amazing what a little drop in the dew point can do for your motivation.

It's been really miserable for the past week or so. Downright tropical. Saturday yoga was painful. Like Bikram or something. At least 80 degrees in the room and suffocatingly humid.

Doing just about anything in that weather is tough slogging. Including writing. So we finally got a break in the weather and I went back to Argo this evening, took a look at two stalled chapters and wrestled them to the damned ground. I feel much better now. In fact, if I play my cards right, maybe I can get another two done this week before the holiday deadline that I sorta retracted on Saturday.

I feel good about these:

  • Be an Editor, Not a Jackass -- the best director I ever worked with asked lots of questions. He engaged us in conversation and helped us find our own answers instead of dictating them to us. That's what a good editor does. Helping writers develop by offering guidance and suggestions. Truly editing, instead of just re-writing. Most PR people don't have (or take) the time for this. As a result, a lot of decent writers never get to a place where they show their real promise.
  • Communication Drives Strategy -- imagine a play without a script. Actually, you don't have to imagine it. It's called "improv," and there's a reason it's almost always unwatchable. Now imagine a group of corporate executive groping for a strategy. Often a similar result -- lots of talk, little action, and very unfunny. As communicators, we can do more than document others' ideas and words. We can actually drive strategy, by partnering with executives to turn their thoughts into actionable communications. I know nothing about trucks, but I once helped turn a six-inch thick binder of charts and graphs into five bullet points that became a clearly articulated strategy.
Exhausted! Relieved! 22 chapters! No more work for the day!

No comments: