Saturday, June 12, 2010

Finally. 17.

This one took a while. I think because I've just been tired this week. I believe in the topic and I think it's a good one, but for some reason getting the damn words out has been nothing but a slog. Writing and rewriting and rewriting some more.

But I was determined to get a second chapter done this week and I'm glad I did:
  • Screw Fear: Chicago improv instructor, director and genius Mick Napier once offered up some advice for actors that included, basically, "Screw fear." (He used a different verb, actually, but I think this is going to be at least a PG book.) He made the very important point that actors who need constant coddling give up their power. "I expect competence, not inability." It was a revelation for me. As an actor whose age would imply that I have a lot more experience than I do, I would often try to low-ball peoples' expectations of me. As a parallel, in the business world I had a boss who told me once when I was stuck on a tough project not to worry about it -- "You know more than the client does. Just start writing." If you don't believe in yourself, nobody else will. (You heard it here first.)



No comments: