Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The other thing

Had tea today with an old Ogilvy colleague and I'm getting more and more excited about the book project.

She's writing a book herself (and actually has a publisher and an advance and all of that) and commented on the fact that ever since she's been working on it she meets more and more people who are also writing books or planning to write them. Her theory is that as people get to a certain age they realize they have a lot of wisdom and experience to share, which makes sense. Or, just as likely, when you're in your 20s you don't think you've got anything worthwhile to say.

Her book sounds hard. She's been on the road doing research and interviewing people. She also feels sometime like she's out there alone -- her publisher looked at some early stuff but didn't have a lot of feedback. So I offered to look at a chapter or two if she wanted feedback and perhaps we could even trade off samples at some point, which would be great.

In any case, it reminded me, I never quite closed the thought from the other day. I thought of the book when I saw that the people doing what I want to do (workshops and coaching on writing) all had major credentials, including books they authored. But then I also thought the book would serve not just as a calling card but as a foundation of the content that I would then transform into workshop presentations, seminars, articles, etc.

What I admired so much about the expert I contacted was how she had all the neatly packaged and differentiated "products." So with the content I'm putting together, I could very easily see a 30-minute presentation here, a several-hour workshop there, a 1,000-word article for a trade journal, etc.

Anyway, I really like how this is coming together and am looking forward to my next open block of time to get more on paper.

No comments: