Monday, May 17, 2010

Hawkey


I've never been much of a hockey fan, but I gotta say I've really been enjoying these playoffs. Now I don't fool myself into believing I'm an actual fan -- I wouldn't be watching at all if the Hawks weren't in it.

But the fact that I am following it is something. And I think it mostly has to do with the fact that during the Winter Olympics I actually went to the trouble of learning a thing or two about the game -- strategy, rules, what's a legal check and what's not. I still barely know the difference between off sides and icing, but then neither do 90% of viewers.

It shouldn't amaze me, but I am sometimes surprised at how much more enjoyable things are when you take the time to learn about them. The same thing happened with curling. And it has nothing to do with sports or ice or anything like that. It's the same way I enjoy music more now that I know a little something about the guitar or appreciate movies more because of the acting.

Yup, learning is FUNdamental. I forget that sometimes. But it's amazing how much the brain can continue to absorb. One of the books I'm reading right now is called "Salt." It's about salt. (And history and civilization, etc.) I think intellectual curiosity is maybe our greatest gift. Some would say love. But sometimes you just want to go to bed with a good book, ya know?

No comments: