Saturday, May 08, 2010

Fifth Chapter

This one took a little while longer, over three sittings, but I think it's one of the most important ones. It's about "showing" instead of "telling." It's something I've been pushing to do more and more of in my client work.

One of the problems is I have so many examples and anecdotes -- everything from Mamet's screenwriting advice ("pretend you're writing a silent movie") to a two-line scene from "The Fugitive" to match.com profiles. It was getting to be more anecdote than substance. But I think I found the right balance, with plenty of applications to real-life client projects.

And I had a conference call yesterday with a new client in which I found all sorts of advice and stories coming out of my mouth, making me think I've got a couple of other potential chapters in me beyond those I've outlined.

No comments: