Friday, April 09, 2010

Snowed under


Look at how cute that little guy is. With the snow all over him and all. Just plain huggable. And harmless.

That's what I thought, anyway. I guess Macs aren't immune to PC/Windows-type behavior. Last night I was doing what should have been a simple installation of the latest operating system and my whole damned world blew up.

Problem 1: the computer could no longer connect to my wireless modem. And the one and only password it's had since I got it was of no use. I spent two hours on the phone with AT&T configuring and reconfiguring the stupid modem, until one guy finally did a couple of fixes over the phone and the problem was resolved.

But that was just the beginning.

Somewhere among the multiple windows and menus and installation instructions (which I was half paying attention to because I was on the line with AT&T), I managed to create a whole new user account for the computer, since it didn't seem to recognize my original one. Only I didn't know that at the time, so to me it appeared that my entire hard drive had been wiped clean.

Not a total disaster, since I back up every month, but not too fun, either. I was furiously making lists of the documents that I needed to retrieve from emails, from my email trash folder and from clients (embarrassing), and which ones I needed to recreate on my own. Probably 10-12 hours worth of work. After a couple of hours of reinstalling all my files.

Thank jeebus for Facebook. It was only when friends noted that their installation left all their data intact that I finally nosed around into some sub-folders and found my original user account. Huge relief, but a really stressful evening overall.

Bad cat.

No comments: