Saturday, April 03, 2010

After all that ...

Of course, after my fuss over needing a higher rate for that job yesterday I ended up completely butchering my TWO lines. Four freaking sentences. I couldn't get them out and it was seriously embarrassing.

You have 15 or 20 minutes to sort of "prove" yourself to a bunch of people (including another actor -- and they're the toughest audience) who don't know you from Adam's housecat and have been hard at work all week on a project and then you come in and sort of fuck it up.

What made it particularly weird was that we were shooting right in the middle of a sea of cubicles where actual workers were doing their work. So you've got this audience of people overhearing you playing them. Gah!

Yes, the language was a little technical and jargony and kind of stilted, but all I had to do was hit my damned mark and say my few lines.

Okay, okay, I know it wasn't as bad as all that. At the end (of 20 minutes or so) they got a couple of good takes from two different angles. And the woman who walked me out was the person who actually sits in the cube we were using and she said I sounded just like her boss when he comes in and talks to her -- "really natural." (Which isn't easy when you're just standing around shootin' the shit about "SGI targeted areas.") So that's good.

And the commute was nearly effortless -- together with the shoot just four-and-a-half hours door-to-door (would have been less, but I waited around an hour before going on), and I was able to get my rental car back in so I didn't have to keep it overnight. Win-win-win.

No comments: