Monday, February 08, 2010

Whoa, nelly

Real audition dry spell here. IF I happen to get an audition Wednesday, which is the soonest possible date for one, it will be THREE WEEKS between auditions. I can't remember the last time that happened. Nothing since January 20.

Now I suppose I should qualify that. Not exactly nothing. I had a booking in there, which is better than an audition. And I actually had a chance at an audition last week, but I kinda got screwed. Or I screwed myself.

When an agent calls they give you a slot that the casting agency has already assigned you. You're not supposed to ask to change it, and I don't ... usually. Sometimes I have genuine conflicts -- another audition or booking going on at the same time. That's pretty much all they consider a "genuine" conflict.

Sometimes I have a business meeting. But again, that's not quite what they'd call legitimate since your primary business is supposed to be always being available for auditions.

Sometimes it's just super-inconvenient for me. Like I don't want a noon audition if I'm also auditioning at 3:30 -- not enough time to get home and back but too much time to sit around downtown.

And sometimes, just sometimes, um ... I have a Pilates or Spin class I really, really don't want to miss. That, I'm pretty sure, is an unacceptable excuse.

So I don't ask for a change often. And when I do they usually have other options to choose from. But this time they didn't, apparently. It turns out, I learned later on, that it was either 12:15 or 12:40, and nothing else. I couldn't quite believe it. Rarely is the time range of options so narrow. So they never called back with a new time.

Oops. At least it wasn't a big ol' SAG thing. But still, had I known I had no other choice, I would have just sucked it up and, um ... rescheduled that appendectomy for another time.

But just as predicted, the law of averages are punishing me for my good January.

No comments: