Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Not dead yet

Over the years, to get control of these crazy allergies and related skin ailments, I have been prescribed no fewer than 50 pills, drops, inhalants, ointments, salves and balms. Not to mention a couple of years of shots.

Some of these have been fairly mild, and others less so. At one point they gave me a medication that's normally used on cancer patients. They said after 30 days they'd need to take a biopsy FROM MY LIVER to ensure it wasn't harming me too much. I wasn't even sure how they'd get to my liver but I said no to that one.

One of the few drugs that's made a difference happens to have its own severe side effects -- things like cataracts, glaucoma, bone thinning. Fun stuff. So that's been a persistent source of anxiety over the years. Going without this stuff in the short-term is absolutely unthinkable. (I would seriously have to kill myself from the severe discomfort and pain.) And yet the long-term consequences are likely debilitating.

And yet ... I seem to be okay. Miraculously. Annual check-ups show no issues with my eyes. And a test I finally got taken with my brand new fancy health insurance shows I'm in pretty good shape otherwise. I'm not gonna be breaking a hip anytime soon. Not my own, at least.

I'm actually pretty astounded by this news. I credit, first, my overall fitness and health. The nutrition, the workouts and everything else have left me more fit than I was when I was 20. Second ... I don't know. Maybe my body is telling me it needs these meds, and it's going to just adjust and counteract them. Or perhaps it's some weird mystical thing beyond my grasp.

So, that's one less thing to worry about. Of course, now I better pay a little more attention to my retirement funds. But as problems go, that's not the worst kind to have ...

No comments: