Friday, January 01, 2010

Hello, 2010 Twenty-Ten

I've been practicing, but it's tough getting used to after a decade's worth of "two-thousands." How did we get in this mess? I blame Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick.

I don't know if it's the fact that I'm connected to more peoples' thoughts with Facebook, but I really can't recall so many people so happy and so relieved to kiss a year goodbye. I mean, people really, really hated that year.

I can totally see that that. Beyond the personal economic turmoil people are experiencing, just opening the newspaper every day is a major downer. War(s). Bombings. Congress. Health care. Partisan vitriol. Irrational hate. The crashing of hope into the brick wall of governance.

Makes me feel a little guilty about yesterday's round-up post. In some ways 2009 was a pretty decent year for me. The commercial work, certainly. And two nice vacations, to Mexico, old and new. And, again, the whales.

But in spite of that I should add that I am, for the most part, and like most everyone else, pretty miserable. And I'm not expecting the new year to magically change that. That's going to have to come from within ...

No comments: