Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A night at the opera

I'll try anything once. A lot of people are like that.

But I will also try some things more than once -- usually several times -- if they're highly recommended by people I respect.

So it was with sushi. I tried it three times, thought it was just okay, and never had it again. Just didn't do it for me.

Also opera. Again, several attempts, never got into it and never went back. Until tonight, I hadn't seen opera in over a decade.

And it turns out ... I liked it! I don't know if it was that I saw some mediocre productions before (they weren't all in Chicago) or if this one is just a particularly popular and accessible one (Tosca). Maybe it's something else, though. This was the first time I've been since I started acting.

I think that gave me a whole other level of appreciation. For the acting, the singing, the costumes and sets and staging. And it was really something. Just beautiful. And actually moving at times. I didn't quite have a Julia Roberts/Pretty Woman moment in there, but I'm really glad I did it. Not that it was a big risk -- the tickets were free. But I would definitely go back for more. Very cool.

So maybe I should have a new rule. After giving something several tries and finally giving in, maybe giving it one more chance after a decade or so passes. In that light, it may just be time to try sushi again.

After all, last time I did I was eating three to four pizzas a week -- and the other nights just blocks of cheese, boxes of crackers, loaves of French bread and honey-nut Cheerios. (Serious carb addiction.) So it's quite possible that my palate (like my appreciation for theater) may have matured a bit.

No comments: