Friday, October 30, 2009

Larger than life


I went to this party last night for the ad agency I'm working with on that book project and it was pretty fun.

I only really knew the CEO, but wasn't counting on spending too much time with him since it was the agency's 10th anniversary and he had clients and employees and a lot of other people to talk to. I figured, go in, have some free food and drink, say hi and head out.

But then I kept running into people. A couple of the staffers I'd worked with. One on a print job that I originally did with the agency (which was the impetus for my getting in touch with them for marketing/communications work). Another I worked with on an industrial when she was with a different company. A couple of the agency's vendors, who I've done a couple of spots with. And then some people who I just met there and had fun talking to.

I even spent a while talking with the CEO, though half that was spent on business and the other comparing iPhone apps. At one point, one of the guys came out and said, "Hey, Rob, I found these in the printer." Giant blowups from the shoot I did with them a few years ago.

I mean these things were freakin' huge. My 8x10 headshot for scale:


I've never seen my face so big.

Anyway, the whole night reminded me of how fun the agency life can be. Lots of young, smart, super-attractive people. And funny, too. I guess they told one of their vendors it was a costume party, so they showed up as ... I'm not sure what they were supposed to be. White Harlem Globetrotters?

It's not all parties, of course. But I could go back to that. I could.

I think I'd have a really hard time having or keeping a girlfriend in that environment, but ...

No comments: