Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Playing another Kentuckian


I've been typecast! First I played a Kentucky banker in that commercial. And next I'm playing another of the Bluegrass State's native sons: Abraham Lincoln.

That's right. Honest Abe. The Great Emancipator. The Rail Splitter. Can't you see the resemblance?

Actually, I'm just doing his voice, but it's for a local museum, which is pretty cool. It's the last gig I ever thought I'd get, but I went to the audition yesterday and I guess I really nailed it.

They had noted in the breakdown that Lincoln actually was known to have a fairly high-pitched voice, particularly for a man of his stature. Sort of a squeaky, backwoods twang. So I listened a few times to a sample they sent of a Lincoln impersonator, practiced a bit, and just went and did it. And they cast me.

I don't know if it'll be part of an exhibit or what. I'd think they'd get someone completely expert in the dialect and the period if that was the case.

So we'll what happens. I looked over the script and there's a lot more than the small paragraph I did in the audition. I hope I can replicate whatever it was they liked. Right now I'm sounding a bit too genteel. I'm gonna have to hick it up a bit ...

No comments: