Friday, January 18, 2008

Chill

Seriously, everyone needs to chill about the cold. People have been freaking all week like there's a hurricane coming, canceling plans, stocking provisions, and otherwise wussing out.

There's this local message board I lurk on where everyone's discussing their plans to stay in and do nothing for 48 hours. Which is essentially what they would be doing anyway. I think people are actually excited about the opportunity to do nothing with no guilt.

Which is totally fine. But just admit it and don't go acting all terrified.

The first time I ever went skiing was up in Wisconsin. I know, it hardly counts. But the high that day was 10 degrees, which made it a significantly more manly enterprise. I'd traveled all the way up there for the weekend and damnit, I was gonna learn to ski. Which I did. Luckily, the runs were no more than 2-3 minutes long. Still, it taught me to ski FAST, in order to get down to the fire barrel and thaw the frozen tears from my cheeks.

Anyway, if I was a poster on that board instead of lurker, this is what my response would be to all the chicken littles there. My plans? First, acknowledge that I live in a climate where it's not uncommon for the temperatures to reach the single digits. Second, use the skills and knowledge I've acquired as a human being to react accordingly and dress appropriately for the weather. Third, man up and go about my business.

1 comment:

David August said...

Amen brother. Wait... It's 44 out right now... and the high was 66... and my blood's gotten thin living in such heat, so I don't know what I'm talking about. Stay warm.