Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Reel fun

Tonight I went to the world premiere of my old classmate Jonald's debut film, That Asian Thing. It's a documentary, and I'm one of the token honkies interviewed in it. I'm just glad I didn't say anything stupid in it -- check that, I'm glad that none of the stupid things I said made it in. Thanks for not pimping me, J!

Anyway, it was a great night for him. Good for people who just go and do it. I've done some things, yes, but on the screenplay, for instance, I've gotten myself so hung up on making it GREAT and PERFECT and rigorously adherent to the RULES as handed down by gurus like Robert McKee, that it prevents me from going farther with it. And here's J-man doing a whole freakin' film. That's how you do it.

I had another callback from this weekend's theatre audition and (I guess) didn't get cast. But, like the other one last week, I had a ball in the auditions. I've just loosened up so much it feels great. It's not quite a "who cares" attitude, because I prepped hard for both. But it was more, "Let's just relax and play and have fun."

I wish I had the perspective to do this more earlier on in this career-thing. I've always understood, conceptually, the point of making bold choices, but I've never quite practiced it like I've done lately. It's a total thrill going back into a room and doing the complete opposite of what I've done before. And doing crazy physical things.

So it's been a lot of fun. To hell with what happens. And maybe that's the difference -- I'm less result-oriented. More into doing my best and not worrying so much about getting the job. And that's where I should be.

No comments: