Monday, November 12, 2007

Doors Closing/Windows Opening

So I got an e-mail from one of my agents this weekend about an unpaid extra gig for a photo shoot happening today. Not the most attractive of offers. But the e-mail had two words in it that could not be resisted. "Ghostface." And "Killah."

How is it possible to turn down a gig like that? It's not. I admit I knew next-to-nothing about Mr. Killah, but I did some googling and wikiing and even downloaded a couple of his songs in preparation for the big shoot today, not that I expected his posse and handlers to allow me much interaction with Ghostface, aka Ghost Face, aka Tony Starks, aka Ironman -- see how much wiki can teach you?

But on the bus on the way to the shoot I got a call that things were postponed to tomorrow. And now they just called again to cancel outright. It's too bad. The photographer is highly regarded and would have been good to meet. And the shoot was going to be of just a small group of us, so I would have been right there, up in Mr. Killah's grill, as it were, so it would have provided, if nothing else, an excellent story to tell.

In the end, they're even going to pay us for the inconvenience, which is really nice. Lesson: open yourself to opportunity and good things will happen.

Not 10 minutes later I got a call from my agent telling me I booked one of those auditions from last week. The one with all the business-speak, where I busted my ass, felt I knew the subject matter better than anyone in the room and where I proceeded to flub things up. So it was awesome to get a job I knew in my head I should have had in the bag. And the pay is WAY great.

Let's stop this week now -- I want to quit while I'm ahead.

No comments: