Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Casting about

So Monday was another weird audition -- I was supposed to be an outdoorsy hunter/fisherman type guy. But, true to my pledge, I went in there cheerfully, and even bought a shirt from Eddie Bauer for the occasion.

Yesterday was more up my alley. Once again, a company I've had as a client in the past, like with Motorola, Jabra and others. I know the business, so I should get the gig, right? No, not necessarily. They gave us a ton of copy and were expecting it to be memorized. Which was tough, because it was very technical stuff -- several big paragraphs of techno-speak. I worked my ass off on it, and I know I had the right "look" for the role -- when they were a client they actually told me I looked like one of them.

And I know of all the actors there (and the layout of the space meant we all got to hear each other audition), I was the the only one who actually understood the words we were saying. But none of that matters, really. I actually ended up over-preparing, having worked, I don't know, 5 or 6 hours over the past few days to get the lines down. So I'm not sure how I did. Parts were good, others less-so.

Some people use ear-prompters -- they record their lines in advance and then play them through an earpiece, repeating them a step or two behind what they're hearing. It sounds complicated, but I've actually tried and can do it pretty well. The only thing I lack is the fancy custom-fit earpiece.

However, one of the downfalls of this system is people can be overly reliant on it. Even if you don't memorize, you still have to study the lines so you know what you're saying and give the right words the right emphasis and impart the correct meaning. Some people don't seem to do that. So one advantage to memorization is you become really familiar with the text.

Anyway, off to today's role as Office Schlub. That one I can nail.

No comments: