Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Good Actor

There's nothing like working with non-actors to make you feel like DeNiro.

I am on Day-I-Don't-Know-What -- 5? 6? -- of a 7 or 8-day shoot over the course of several weeks. This time behind the camera, as part of my job-job. We're interviewing these execs, trying to get some compelling, concise messages, while also presenting them as natural, spontaneous human beings.

It's amazing what happens when you take intelligent, articulate people, passionate about their work and their family, and stick a camera in their face. People are so guarded, so afraid of making a mistake, so worried about how they'll come across. We've been working hard, getting them to a place of comfort, but it hasn't been easy.

It makes me realize that I am easily a better actor than 95% of the population. That just leaves, what, 15 million people in the United States alone better than I am? I don't know -- watching these people struggle is probably the same exact feeling directors and casting agents get when they see me perform. It's all relative.

No comments: