Wednesday, July 11, 2007

August: Osage County

Wow, I'm officially a huge Tracy Letts fan. After seeing him perform a couple of times, I got an opportunity tonight to see one of the plays he wrote.

August: Osage County just opened at Steppenwolf and I scored free tickets. If you would have told me I'd be completely gripped for 3 hours and 15 minutes by a play (or by anything, for that matter) I'd have told you you're crazy. Amazing writing, amazing performances (finally got to see Amy Morton). Heartbreaking, shocking, brutal, hilarious -- if you've ever been in a relationship or had siblings or parents or breathed air, this play will hit you hard in the gut.

It's gotten rave reviews and I assume it's gonna go to Broadway, but who knows. It makes me want to see Bug even more when it comes out on DVD (since it was in theaters for just 10 minutes).

A really funny thing: one of the actors was the Native American woman from the Jerry Seinfeld Cigar Store Indian episode.

And I am even more convinced than ever of the mediocrity of my talent. Huzzah!

No comments: